PM Lee: Singapore should have ‘no problem’ accommodating 6 million people
Posted by temasektimes on September 23, 2012
One year later, he is singing a different tune as he revealed his administration’s grandiose plan to continue to increase Singapore’s population via immigration to boost its GDP figures.
Former National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan once set a population target of 7 million people for Singapore.
Speaking at a forum hosted by state TV Channel News Asia, PM Lee said a figure of 6 million people is needed for Singapore to continue its economic progress:
“We’re gradually increasing our land area, and if we rebuild our older towns, then we can accommodate more people. Today our population is over 5 million. In the future, 6 million or so should not be a problem.”
Singapore granted some 16,000 citizenships to foreigners in 2011. Between 2008 and 2010, the figure was between 18,000 and 20,000.
The increasing number of foreigners in Singapore has changed its demographics beyond recognition. Foreigners now make up 40 percent of Singapore’s population. Of the remaining 60 percent who are citizens, an increasing number are born overseas.
Immigrants tend to vote for the government as illustrated in the British General Election last year where 80 percent of immigrants reportedly voted for the incumbent Labor Party.