SHOCKING: Woman’s buttocks burnt by concentrated sulfuric acid on SMRT train and requires skin grafting!
Posted by temasektimes on March 27, 2012
Taking MRT trains is becoming a daily hazard for Singaporeans of late. Not only must one face the inconveniences caused by the frequent train delays, breakdowns and ‘ponding’ from leaking air-con, one may also be burnt by unknown fluids left on MRT seats as one unfortunate woman discovered.
According to media reports, the woman boarded a SMRT train at Raffles Place on her way home and sat on an empty seat which appeared to be wet.
Thinking that the transparent fluid is water, the woman sat on it only to discovered a stinging sensation to her buttocks. The pain got worse and worse and she eventually alighted at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station to check into a lady’s toilet.
To her shock, she discovered her buttocks was ‘burnt’. On admission to the hospital, she was told she required skin grafting due to the extensive damage. The transparent fluid is likely to be highly concentrated sulfuric acid.
When contacted by the media, a SMRT spokesperson said a police report has been lodged over the incident.
Most plastics such as FEP (fluorinated ethylene propylene) can withstand concentrated acid for up to 30 days without damage. Update your knowledge in Chemistry here.