Lecturer has leg amputated after bitten by poisonous centipede
Posted by temasektimes on April 1, 2012
According to a local Chinese tabloid, Mr Tan was bringing his daughter to school when he felt a sharp pain on his right foot. On looking down, he realized he was bitten by a centipede.
Mr Tan initially ignored the wound, thinking that it would heal on its own, but days later, it became swollen and infected with foul-smelling pus emanating for it.
He was subsequently admitted to Tan Tock Seng Hospital whose doctors told him he got a rare form of ‘flesh-eating’ bacteria in the wound and he had to amputate the limb.
A shocked Mr Tan refused to go for the operation, but was forced to do so after the wound became gangrenous.