Khaw Boon Wan on Marsiling fire: It could have gone ‘very bad’
Posted by temasektimes on May 7, 2012
In a comment posted on Facebook, Mr Khaw said it is fortunate that there were no casualties as it could have gone ‘very bad.’
“The neighbours have also settled down though full recovery will take a few days. TC has rewired the units, except two as the tenants were not around. Repainting will start tomorrow. Fortunately, not fatality. But it could have gone very bad. Lucky this time,” he wrote.
Mr Khaw added that he has asked the Town Council to remind residents not to leave bulky items such as mattresses and chairs along HDB corridors:
“We should not take this lightly. Told TC to more actively ask residents to remove things from common spaces, if they look like safety hazards.
Initial investigations revealed that the fire started at the 11th floor lift lobby, where a resident, 58-year-old odd-job labourer Samat Kidam, had left large items such as mattresses, chairs and tables. The police have classified the case as mischief by fire.