Dr Teo Ho Pin clarifies: Assistance given to homeless family
Posted by temasektimes on July 17, 2012
Sebastian Chia, a volunteer at PAP MP for Bukit Panjang Dr Teo Ho Pin’s Meet-the-People session has written to The Temasek Times to clarify that he had given assistance to a homeless family which was highlighted in an article published a week ago. (read more here)
The article, which was submitted by a student, claimed that the father of the homeless family tried to approach Dr Teo for help to no avail.
The article polarized public opinion with some casting doubts on its authenticity, but following checks by grassroots leaders in Bukit Panjang, the case was found to be real.
We attached the reply by Mr Chia in full below:
Dear Temasek Times Editor,
I am one of the volunteers at Dr Teo’s Meet-the-People Session.
Dr Teo had met the father of the homeless family during his MPS on 16-7-2012.
We hope you are able to publish the following clarification on your blog and Facebook page.
1. The father had not seen Dr Teo previously. Both of them have not met prior to the meeting on 16-7-2012.
2. The father had sold his HDB flat three (3) years ago and applied for a rental flat that HDB had rejected.
3. The family’s registered address is not in Bukit Panjang Constituency but they rented a room at Blk 431 Fajar Road instead.
4. The family is facing financial difficulties.
5. The family is currently staying in a flat with New Hope Community Services’ assistance.
6. Dr Teo had approached South West Community Development Council and Fei Yue FSC’s assistance to help the family.
I would appreciate if you could post the above clarification accordingly.
I can be contacted at email@example.com if you require further clarification.