PM Lee chides Singaporeans for making ‘nasty’ posts about foreigners
Posted by temasektimes on August 27, 2012
The relentless influx of foreigners at the invitation of the government has led to rampant inflation, sky-rocketing property prices, stagnant wages and an obvious decline in the quality of life over the years, sparking rising anger among Singaporeans at foreigners who are deemed to snatch their rice-bowls from them.
Such sentiments are increasingly being expressed in cyberspace, prompting concerns from PM Lee who noted that such responses not only damage Singapore’s international reputation, but also speak poorly of its people.
“There will be social frictions from time to time. We should deal with these incidents maturely. It’s alright to express disapproval of what happened, it’s necessary even. It’s not alright to be a one-eyed dragon, or to condemn all non-Singaporeans or Singaporeans based on the actions of a few bad apples. Also it’s wrong to slam the shortcomings of others, but ignore our own transgressions,” PM Lee said during the National Day Rally last night.
He also called on Singaporeans to show ‘generosity’ to the newcomers:
“Singaporeans must show a generosity of spirit to one another, including new arrivals. New arrivals must also embrace our values, commit themselves to Singapore and integrate into our community. We will welcome you into our midst, into our family, but you must make the effort too.”
Foreigners now make up 40 percent of Singapore’s population. Of the remaining 60 percent who are ‘Singaporeans’, an increasing number are born overseas.
Government statistics make no mention of the number born in Singapore and abroad, preferring to lump all of them together with PRs as ‘locals’.