THE TEMASEK TIMES

News and views from an unique perspective

PM Lee to Singapore couples: Have confidence in your children’s future

Posted by temasektimes on February 17, 2013

pm6millionDespite a massive outcry over the government’s White Paper released last week leading to a landmark protest at Hong Lim Park yesterday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong appeared to be unaware of the simmering discontent on the ground, urging Singaporean couples instead to have confidence in Singapore’s future.

Speaking at the Lunar New Year dinner at his Teck Ghee ward on Saturday evening, PM Lee said it is important for couples to have confidence in Singapore’s future and ultimately want Singapore to be the best place to settle down and raise children:

“Here, your children will get good education, will have good opportunities, that here we can build a home together. A home where we feel Singaporean, a home where we can have opportunities, a home where we can help look after one another, and make tomorrow better than today.” 

However, judging from the rare public display of dissent at Hong Lim Park yesterday, many young Singaporeans are fearful of Singapore’s future, a future in which they will be relegated to being second class citizens in their own country if the government goes ahead with its plan to increase Singapore’s population to 6.9 million people by 2013:

Due to the government’s ultra-liberal immigration policies, foreigners now make up 40 percent of Singapore’s population. Of the remaining 60 percent who are ‘citizens’, an increasing number are born overseas.

3 Responses to “PM Lee to Singapore couples: Have confidence in your children’s future”

  1. P Koh said

    Talk is always easy but doing is difficult. Given the rising cost of living and the chaotic situations with housing and transport, does young Singaporeans feel confident to build a home and start a family. Even putting two salaries together to buy a home means sacrificing so much for leisure or even holiday travels let alone buying food. These costs are frightening high and to educate a child even at pre-school level is no longer cheap. These factors need to be addressed first in order to put the minds of the younger Singaporeans at ease and show them by actions what “Confidence” is really all about.

  2. We just don’t have confidence in Singapore’s future under PAP’s rule

  3. Singapuraboi said

    PKoh well said. With too many people chasing after limited goods, cost of living will spiral. We r seeing the beginning of the maelstrom already and when this tornado picks up momentum, it will get bigger and more dangerous.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: